Happiness, it’s a feeling that we all want. Almost everything we do from the goals we work hard on to the activities we partake in to the people we hang around with, it’s all to add a little bit more happiness in our life. You can say that for almost everyone, being happy is the ultimate goal in life. Unfortunately, too many people make things far more complicated than it has to be.
As you will see in many of these quotes about being happy, it’s not what we get that makes us happy. We feel happy simply by allowing ourselves to feel happy. It’s a feeling meaning it’s internal. We create those feelings. So how come so many people are unhappy? One reason is because they’ve become accustomed to thinking that more things will lead to more happiness. The more they get, the more they want, forever chasing a feeling that inside of them all along.
If you get anything from these happiness quotes, it’s to keep it simple. Let go of all the complicated formulas to living a happy life and just be happy.
1. “Stop worrying. Worry kills life.” – Abraham L. Feinberg
2. “If you want to be happy, be.” – Leo Tolstoy
3. “Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.” – Cynthia Nelms
4. “People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.” – Abraham Lincoln
5. “The essence of philosophy is that a man should so live that his happiness shall depend as little as possible on external things.” – Epictetus
6. “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” – Albert Schweitzer
8. “Happiness is a conscious choice, not an automatic response.” – Mildred Barthel
9. “We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same.” – Carlos Castaneda
10. “The most important thing is to enjoy your life—to be happy—it’s all that matters.” – Audrey Hepburn
11. “Misery is almost always the result of thinking.” – Joseph Joubert
12. “Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get.” – W.P. Kinsella
13. “Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.” – Joseph Addison
14. “It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it.” – Dale Carnegie
15. “The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up.” – Mark Twain
16. “Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
17. “One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory.” – Rita Mae Brown
18. “Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.” – Guillaume Apollinaire
19. “The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet.” – James Openheim
20. “Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.” – Aristotle
More Happiness Quotes