There is a lot that can be learned from words of wisdom quotes. These sayings aren’t just made up out of the blue. Behind these words are years, decades, and even centuries of experience. Often times, we don’t really “get” the lesson until we’re ready. Most youngsters don’t really understand how short life is until they experience an event that makes it real for them. If only we can fully grasp the wisdom in all these quotes, perhaps we would live life a bit more fully.
As usual, I’ll add to the list as I find more good ones.
1. “Do not undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others.” – Unknown
2. “The happiest of people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.” – Karen S. Magee
3. “When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.” – Dali Lama
4. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
5. “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” – John Wooden
6. Know the difference between instinct and habit. Trust your instincts – question your habits.
7. “Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.” – Dali Lama
8. “Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.”- Dali Lama
9. “You cannot discover oceans unless you have the courage to leave the shore.” – Successories
10. “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most fools do.” – Benjamin Franklin
11. “Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else’s hands, but not you.” – Jim Rohn
12. “Our outer life reflects back to us the way we think, feel and behave. The outer world is all effects. Go to the source inside for all of life’s treasures.” – Unknown
13. “Knowing others is wisdom; Knowing the self is enlightenment.” – Tao Te Ching
14. “A person’s worth is contingent upon who he is, not upon what he does, or how much he has. The worth of a person, or a thing, or an idea, is in being, not in doing, not in having.” – Alice Mary Hilton
15. “The first step in achieving prosperity and wealth is learning to appreciate what you already have.” – S. Richardson
16. “Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” – Jeremy Kitson
17. “Circumstance does not make the man. Circumstance reveals man to himself.” – Emerson
18. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life and don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. Most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.” – Steve Jobs
19. “Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.” – Sandra Carey
20. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” – Maya Angelou